3-Page Treatment Competition
Thank you for your interest in submitting a treatment for the 2012 San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival.
- Submission Deadline: October 31, 2012
- Festival: February 7-9, 2013
What is a Treatment?
A treatment consists of a written condensation of a proposed film, documentary, or TV dramatic production. It covers the basic ideas and issues of the production as well as the main characters, locations, and story angles. It persuades the reader that the production deserves to be made. The treatment will also explain why the project will succeed commercially, what it will teach, and why target audiences will want to see it.
In part, the treatment’s purpose is to sell the proposal to financial backers and senior personnel. Treatments should be attention-getting and interesting to read. They are written in the present tense, and often read like a short story.
Long treatments, sixty pages, cover the full story sequence. They typically contain some key scenes (script dialogue that will be in the script).
A three-page treatment is a rich synopsis that reveals the intentions and mind of the author.
Competition rules can be found below. For some tips and suggestions, download “Professional Suggestions: Tips on Writing a Treatment for the SAICFF Treatment Competition.”
- Feature Film
- Television Series
Treatment Contest Rules for Entry Submission
- Treatments must adhere to the Festival Objectives and Contest Guidelines.
- Individual writers can submit no more than four treatments apiece. Each submission must be accompanied by its own entrance fee and entry form.
- All treatments must be original material. Book to film adaptations will only be considered if accompanied by written permission from the copyright holder of the original material.
- Treatments must be limited to three pages plus one cover page. The following aspects must be included:
Page 1 — Cover Sheet
- Working title
- Copyright holder
- Target audience
- Predicted rating
- Estimated production budget
- Commercial and theological significance of the project
- How the film will be distinct, fresh, unique, and superior
Pages 2-4 — The Story Treatment
Here the judge will learn about your understanding of story structure, cinematic language, cinematic history, elements of drama, the importance of dramatic pacing, empathetic character development, character growth, character arc, and strong endings.
- Treatments will be evaluated for consistency with festival guidelines and judged for creativity, commercial feasibility, and potential cultural significance.
- Finalists will be selected based on excellence in their conformity to the criteria, categories, guidelines, and festival objectives.
- Treatments will not be returned under any circumstances. Receipt of treatments will be sent by e-mail correspondence.
- Application fee is non-refundable.
- Awards will be presented to the individuals responsible for the winning treatments on February 9, 2013 during the SAICFF Jubilee Awards presentation ceremonies. All awards are based on the overall merit of the entries. Judges reserve the right not to grant a category award.
- Questions? Check the Frequently Asked Questions page first. If you still need help, e-mail us.
There will be only three prizewinners for the three-page treatment competition. Submissions from all three categories will be considered.
First Prize includes $1,000 cash, a family scholarship pass to the 2014 SAICFF, a professional script analysis of the finished script based on the winning treatment (valued at $1,000), and a free copy of Final Draft screenwriting software. A total prize value in excess of $2,500!
Second and Third Place winners will also receive top-of-the-line Final Draft software.
Submit Your Treatment Now
Treatment Entry Form